Foster Care Sunday
From 10 September 2023
Mary Blake of Fostering Hope writes: “Thank you to the Tasmanian Baptist churches for their support of foster and kinship carers and the children in their homes.”
Today, over 46,200 children in Out-of-Home Care in Australia. Sadly, the number of children removed from their families each year is increasing. At the same time, the number of Foster Carers is decreasing. Nationally, governments are struggling to recruit and retain carers.
The Church is called to serve the most vulnerable members of our communities. Let’s celebrate and support the Foster and Kinship Carers who are living on mission. These faithful people provide loving homes for children who are unable to live with their birth family.
We can all do something to create communities of welcome and support for carers and children with an experience of the Out-of-Home Care system.
What to do on Foster Care Sunday
Launching on September 10th 2023, we are inviting you participate in Foster Care Sunday. This could take place on a date that works for you.
On the day, we encourage you to:
- SHOW the Foster Care Sunday video – 3 minutes. (https://vimeo.com/855185166)
- CELEBRATE children in care and Foster or Kinship Carers in your congregations and communities. (Do be aware of maintaining children’s privacy for online viewing!)
- RAISE AWARENESS of the children needing families and the important mission of Foster Care.
- PLAY A ROLE in being a safe and supportive space for those involved in the Out-of-Home Care system.
- INVITE a carer, worker, or someone who grew up in care or a fostering family to share their story. They could explain the sorts of things that were helpful to them.
Find Out More
This year for the first time, Foster Carer’s Sunday is being organised by a national network of Christian fostering organisations. You can find more information here: www.christianfostering.com.au. The Church Pack will be available soon!
Mary Blake is the Executive Officer of Fostering Hope in Tasmania.
Read More reCharge!
- It’s a New Day Karen Wilson, Day of Courage Keynote Speaker
- Around the Churches August-September 2023
- The Point Baptist Church Profile
- EmpowHer Day of Courage All women welcome!
- A Royal Priesthood Sacred Agents blog by Crossover Director, Andrew Turner
- Redeeming Redemption Stephen Baxter, from the Mission and Leadership Team
- Ministry Profile Michael Henderson
- August NEWS | September NEWS