ReCharge NEWS April 2023
26th April 2023 | ReCharge News
Geoff Maddock Visits Tassie!
As the Baptist Mission Australia State Leader for Tasmania, it is my privilege to relocate to Tassie for the month of May to walk alongside our Baptist churches.
READ MORE ABOUT MY DATES AND DESTINATIONS >
First and foremost, I seek to listen and learn what God’s people in Tasmania are experiencing as they step out in mission – across the street and around the world! I’m also honoured to be sharing in church gatherings each Sunday across May and attending pastor gatherings and association events throughout the month.
I would also hope to visit with anyone interested in intercultural mission (local and global) or curious about the work of Baptist Mission Australia as we adapt our organisation to a rapidly changing world mission context.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with a phone call, text or email to arrange a time with me. I will be in the North West 30th April-10th May. Then around Launceston 10th May to 22nd May. And will finish my time in the South of the state from 22nd May to 29th May.
Following conversations with Tasmanian Baptist leaders, engagement with churches and our own discernment processes, we sense God’s Spirit encouraging us to make ourselves available to journey with Tasmanian Baptists on your missional reimagination journey.
Baptist Mission Australia | firstname.lastname@example.org | 0436 470 535
Atrocities in Myanmar
A call for prayer via Australian Baptist Ministries
The Asia Pacific Baptist Federation condemns in the strongest terms possible the recent aerial bombing of civilian villages in Pazikyi, Kanbalu of Sagaing region in Myanmar, which resulted in the deaths of over 100 innocent civilians.
This attack is a gross violation of international humanitarian law and a blatant disregard for the sanctity of human life.
As members of the Baptist World Alliance, who stand for justice, peace, and respect for human dignity, we are deeply saddened at this heinous act. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who have lost their loved ones, homes and belongings in this inhumane attack.
We ask our member conventions and churches to pray for the people of Myanmar during these difficult times and to stand in solidarity with them as they seek justice and peace.
READ: Full press release >
There is so much going on at Longford! To find out more, or to attend/participate in any of these ministries please check their website (riverlands.org.au), call 6391 2202, or email email@example.com. Office hours are 9am-12pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
- 10-11am Mondays and Tuesdays, Libraries Tasmania, Adult Literacy – during school term)
- 11am-12pm Mondays, Prayer Group
- 10am-12pm Tuesdays, Threads of Friendship
- 5.30-9pm Tuesdays Young Adults Group – off site
- 10am-12pm Wednesdays, Bible Small Group
- 9.30-11.30 am Thursdays, Stay & Play – during school terms
- 3-5pm Thursdays, Girls Youth Group – during school terms
- 11.30am-1.30pm. Thursdays, Bible Discovery Group
- 7-8.30pm Thursdays, Bible Small Group – fortnightly, off-site
- 10.30am-12pm Fridays, Neighbours – fortnightly
- 7-9.pm Fridays, Riverlands Youth group – 3rd Friday of each month, during school terms
- 11am-1pm Fridays, Meals on Wheels – operate Monday-Friday each week
Grief Companion Training
Do you know people who are grieving? Would you like to learn how to support them? You could attend this seminar, being run by New Mornings at Ulverstone Baptist.
WHEN 9:30am-430pm, Saturdays 20th May AND 3rd June 2023
COST Day 1 only – $75 (Conc. $55) ) | Days 1 + 2 – $120 (Conc. $85)
WHERE Ulverstone Baptist Church Hall, 60 Alexandra Road, Ulverstone, 7315
INFO Contact New Mornings: firstname.lastname@example.org | 03 6411 6212
OR download the flyer:
What’s Going On – Summerhill
For more information about any of these activities please contact Maddy Svoboda: email@example.com
- Primary school mentoring at Summerdale (as well as training of mentors), runs weekly throughout the week.
- Playgroup, 10am-12pm, Wednesdays during school term facilitated by the Salvos.
- Chat and Choose, every Friday morning during school terms.
- Craft Group, Saturday mornings once a month.
- High school Youth Ministry, 7-9pm, 2nd Friday of the month (when not involved with the combined youth initiatives).
- Life groups, throughout the week.
- A service in our local aged care facility. We hope to extend to another service soon.
Stand with the People of Myanmar
FROM BAPTIST MISSION AUSTRALIA
More than ever, the people of Myanmar need to know that others stand with them. They need to know they are not forgotten.
Two years on from a military coup, Myanmar is rocked by violence, oppression and instability. The economy has collapsed, there are severe shortages of food, fuel and other basic supplies. Families are forced to separate, churches continue to be damaged. Pastors have been arrested. The military continue to ignore basic human rights.
Since the coup, more than 3000 people have been killed and 16,000 people detained. Almost 1.6 million people are displaced within Myanmar and 1.1 million refugees and asylum seekers from Myanmar live in refugee camps on the Thai and Indian borders and within other towns in Thailand and India.
Please invite your faith community in sacrificially giving to our Stand with Myanmar appeal, so that together we can make a tangible and practical difference in the lives of people who continue to live with trauma and uncertainty.
What’s Going on – City Baptist
City Baptist Church in Launceston has people, as well as activities that people can connect with relationally.
- Street chaplain (Stephen Avery), coming alongside those in need on our streets
- Housing provided for refugees (Ivan James)
- The homeless and those fleeing Family and Domestic Violence (Kay Hunter)
- Climate activism (Sally Staley, Wendy Miller and friends)
- Drop in Centre in the Red Dove Café
6pm-7pm Saturdays, 52 weeks per year (Jeff McKinnon).
- City Baptist Community Garden – 69 Station Rd, St Leonards (Steve and Marie Pearce)
- Learning Circle (hosted by Garry Billing and Jeff McKinnon) for those wanting to grow in discipleship, spirituality and mission (three-week sessions)
- Young adult dinners with Jenna Blackwell
- Friday Frolics – Intergenerational social outing on last Friday of the month (Merelyn Briton)
Find out more here > | City Baptist on Facebook >
What’s Going on – Gateway
The Baptist churches in and around Launceston want to work more closely together and point people to activities going on in other Baptist churches.
Over the coming weeks reCharge NEWS will highlight one church’s activities, this week, with Gateway Baptist.
Gateway’s Ministries most weeks:
Shekinah House Team
Volunteering and low level counseling with homeless people
11am till 3pm, Tuesday to Friday
Ladies study with coffee
3rd and 4th Tuesday of each month
5:30 – 6:30pm Wednesday
Eat, Share, Pray Midweek Group
Art Therapy and Lessons 12 noon – 2pm Wednesday and Thursday
Craft Group 6:30-9pm, Wednesday
Ladies 10am Thursday
To enquire about any of these activities please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Easter Camp at Perth
In 1954, Perth Baptist hosted an enormous Easter Camp!
Thank you to those who responded about the year this photo was taken.
READ MORE Perth Baptist Church Profile
What’s Going On – Newstead
Walk this Way
2-4pm first Sunday of the month
Family friendly short walks aimed to be an intergenerational opportunity to create space in creation to walk and talk.
Tuesday Life Group 7-9pm in Prospect
Thursday Life Group 7-9pm in Newstead
All Welcome! Join a Life Group here >
In the Community
Chat’n’Choose 9:30-11:30am Thursdays, at the church.
Crafts, Conversations, Friendship, Fun. Men and Women of all ages are Welcome.
Drop-in Centre meets every Friday 1-3pm in “The Lounge” at the church
Games for all generations, just drop-in to meet new friends
Alpha at Newstead Baptist Thursday nights from 1st June 2023
To enquire about any of these activities at Newstead, please email email@example.com
Friday/Saturday 5th/6th May, Newstead Baptist (NB new venue!)
The May Assembly is coming up very fast! All Tasmanian Baptist churches are eligible to have at least two voting delegates in attendance, plus pastors and Tas Baptist Council Members. As well, interested individuals are welcome to attend. However, all attendees do need to register.
Assembly papers will be sent to Church Secretaries via email on Thursday 6th April.
7-9pm, Friday 5th May: Dinner ($30)
9:30am-3pm, Saturday 6th May: Morning tea and Lunch ($15)
Payments and registrations will be due to the Tasmanian Baptist office by Monday 5th May 2023. As well as the regular registration process, we are trialing an online payment/registration system. So watch out for that!
CROSSOVER Easter Resources
This Changes Everything is an Easter series that’s ready to go. There are message outlines that you can take, leave or adapt. But the bonus is the artwork for promoting and inviting, easily editable to include your church details.
All free, because Crossover is here to help you share Jesus.
Ally & Sally is the shortest soap opera you’ve ever seen! 3x 1-min episodes you can show in church, or embed in your weekly email, or both. Each episode can stand alone, but the story builds – and twists – with a positive encouragement to share our great news.
Perfect for showing right before promoting the Easter Offering in the three weeks leading up to Easter!
watch ally & sally
Read More ReCharge!
- Psalm 91 – A Devotion By Frans Ammerlaan, Sassafras
- Assembly Report 5-6 May 2023 By Linda Guy, Gateway
- Ministry Profile Matt Henderson, Hobart
- BMA’s Geoff Maddock in Tasmania during May Mission Month
- Deep Thought The God of Bethel, by Maddy Svoboda
- Passion and Perserverance Elements for church growth By Michael Henderson
- An Easter Exercise by Crossover’s Andrew Turner
- Greater Launceston Youth Gathering Monthly! PLUS Taking Strides in Basketball
- APRIL News | MAY News
DOWNLOAD Recent (PDF) Issues of ReCharge