Painting a Picture of Jesus
The Crossover Spring Appeal
BY Crossover National Taskforce rep, Maddy Svoboda,
Maddy wonders about altering friends’ perceptions of Jesus, and how the “Crossover Spring Appeal” will help!
In the 2006 movie ‘Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby’, Will Ferrell’s character Ricky Bobby and his family, as well as his NASCAR teammate Cal Naughton Jr, are having a meal.
Ricky Bobby gives thanks for the meal of KFC, Dominoes and all manner of food. It makes me wonder how effective a prayer is when asking God to bless this food to our bodies, as Ricky prays to Baby Jesus. He prays over and over to tiny baby, infant Jesus (8-pound 6-ounce baby Jesus who is so cuddly and omnipotent) before his wife stops him.
Everyone has a picture of Jesus
What impacts me about this scene (apart from the absolutely ridiculous nature of it) is the implicit truth that we all have a picture of Jesus, or God. This picture shapes us – and is an image of Jesus that we gravitate towards.
Part of our work of evangelism is telling the story, or painting the picture of Jesus, as accurately as we can. This means we can invite people to know Jesus as he is, rather than how we imagine him to be.
What is Crossover?
The ministry of Crossover has richly blessed Tasmanian Baptists. Before COVID-19 struck, Crossover ran conferences for people with a noticeable gift of evangelism. Crossover funds covered the entire cost for each attendee. This meant people who wouldn’t normally have the opportunity attend an event like this, could be there.
Why Crossover’s Spring Appeal?
In Tasmania alone, 15 people have attended the Emerge Evangelism Conference over the years. As I look back over the list of attendees, I see people who contribute to our life in significant ways. I’m so thankful to be part of Crossover, and to see the fruit from our investment into evangelism and mission.
That’s why Crossover is running a Spring Appeal over the next few months.
For Crossover to continue to provide resources, and equip the church to proclaim the good news of Jesus, we are asking churches around Australia to commit financially to Crossover. There are multiple ways you and your church can do this.
Please check out your options at www.crossover.org.au/church-contributions/. You can also visit the Crossover website to discover resources, including Christmas resources, so you can share Jesus well.
If you would like to engage in a conversation around the content of this article, please feel free to email me!
READ MORE IN THE NOV/DEC 2021 ADVANCE | STEP BY STEP
- Progress at City Baptist (Launceston) Bittersweet: exciting times, along with tragic news
- The Tasmanian Parliamentary Prayer Breakfast 2021 Inspiring words
- Tasmanian Baptists Christmas Listing What’s going on around the state this Christmas
- Man (or Woman) in the Mirror Caring for our Youth and Young Adults
- Church Profile Latrobe Baptist
- Food for Thought Developing Leadership By Frans Ammerlaan, Sassafras
- Annual Assembly Report by Kate Barnett, Newstead
- Q&A Interview with Geoff Maddock, Global Interaction Tas/Vic
- NEWS: Need to Know Global Interaction name change | Safer Spaces Toolkit | Christmas poetry | Big Hearted Gifts | Tas Celebration Launch | Converge 2021 | Book Review | Faith and the Arts | BWA Ethical Fashion Guide 2021